14K Gold Plated Daughter’s
Birthstones are gemstones that are associated with each month. They may be precious stones, such as diamonds, or semi-precious, such as Lapiz Lazuli. In each case they are considered lucky for their particular months and it’s said that their healing powers are heightened during their months.
So if you’re born in April then your Birthstone is the Diamond and you will get the most benefit from diamonds by wearing them in April. Of course, people might argue that wearing diamonds at anytime is a good thing!
- Birthstone Chart - a chart of the birthstones, by month
- StarStones, a chart of the monthly starstones
Since each birthstone has heightened powers during its month then some people buy a set of all twelve and rotate them for each month.
Various Birthstone Lists
- The Modern Birthstone List contains the official birthstone list from the American National Association of Jewelers, Jewelers of America. These gemstones were officially adopted in 1912. In the US, this is the accepted list.
- The Traditional Birthstone list contains older birthstones and is sometimes combined with the modern birthstone list. These stones reflect societal birthstone traditions, heralding back to the 15th century. (Many jewelers have differing lists of traditional birthstones, but the birthstone colors will be very close from list to list.)
- The Mystical Birthstone list is of Tibetan origin from over a thousand years ago.
- The Ayurvedic Birthstone list is from Ayurvedic Indian Medicine – a type of medicine used for over a thousand years.
The Birthstone Chart for the Year
Stones listed in the “other” column were correlated by Dave Thompson and others participating on the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.jewelry as alternative birthstones for each month.
The Curious Lore of Precious Stones by George Frederick Kunz has a wonderful list of birthstones from different cultures. Many people decide to go with jewelry that combines several birth stones into one item, a birthstone bracelet, for example. Others prefer single stones.
The birthstone chart, below, will take you to more info or to Amazon: “Birth month” links will take you to a page with more info on the gems, such as lore, chemistry, and so on. Links under the gem lists will take you to Amazon.com, where you can check out their awesome Birthstone collection. There is a bit more description below the chart.
You can find more on Birthstones and you can also shop for your birthstones, at Limoges Jewelry. Also see our Gemstone Therapy pages for more detailed information on the mystical properties of certain stones.
- The January Birthstone: Garnet - Garnet is a beautiful stone that comes in quite the range of colors, including a beautiful red. Large garnet gems, while not approaching diamonds or rubies in price, can make your wallet take a deep breath.
- The February Birthstone is the Amethyst - The amethyst is the February birthstone and, in finer quality examples, is a beautiful purple color. The color purple, of course, is the color of royalty,
- The March Birthstone: Aquamarine - Were you born in march? Then your birthstone is the aquamarine. This lovely blue-green crystal is a semi-precious stone and looks terrific wrapped up in silver wire.
- The Dazzling Diamond is the April Birthstone – Look at a fine diamond in sunlight and see that stunning dazzle burn its way into your brain cells for all time.
- The Emerald is the May Birthstone - If you were born in May then this gorgeous green stone will bring luck to its wearer in the month of May and just looks great regardless of the month.
- The June Birthstone: Pearl - Originally pearls were found by luck. Divers would open many oysters for every decent pearl found.
- The July Birthstone is the Ruby - They all agree, modern, traditional, mystical, and ayurvedic – the July Birthstone is the dazzling ruby.
- The August Birthstone is the Peridot – A beautiful green to yellow-green in color, the peridot is often mistake for an emerald. In fact, legend has it that Queen Cleopatra preferred Peridot over other gems…
- Sapphire is the September Birthstone - Birthdays are just a little more special when they have a stone as special as the sapphire associated with them. The blue sapphire is an ancient stone…
- The October Birthstone is the Opal - This beautiful, iridescent gem changes color depending on the lighting, which is one of its defniing characteristics. Because of this color shifting Opal Jewelry, in the right settings, can be stunning.
- November’s Birthstone:is the Citrine - The traditional november birthstone is Citrine, but the mystical tradition has the pearl and the Ayurvedics use the Topaz.
- The December Birthstone is the Blue Topaz – December’s official birthstone, according to the American National Association of Jewelers, is the Blue Topaz. This beautiful blue gemstone…
- More Gems - More beautiful gems that aren’t generally considered birthstones.
Star Sign Stones
The Star Sign stone chart below offers another slant on birthstones/planetary relationships. Instead of being linked to the various months, these stones are linked to the stars. These are not stones with stars in them, such as the star sapphire, but stones that are linked to the stars. Clicking on each star stone link provides specific gemstone pictures/products, care instructions, mystical properties, and lots more.
|Sun Sign||Birthstone||Planetary Stone||Lucky Charms|
|Capricorn(Dec. 22-Jan. 19)||Ruby , Agate, Garnet||Ruby|
|Aquarius(Jan. 20-Feb. 18)||Garnet, Moss Agate, Opal , Amethyst||Garnet, Hyacinth|
|Pisces(Feb. 19-Mar. 20)||Rock Crystal, Sapphire, Amethyst, Bloodstone||Amethyst|
|Aries(Mar. 21-Apr. 19)||Bloodstone, Diamond||
|Diamond, Jasper, Bloodstone|
|Taurus(Apr. 20-May 20)||Sapphire, Turquoise, Amber, Coral , Emerald||
|Gemini(May 21-Jun. 20)||Agate, Chrysoprase, Pearl||
|Cancer(Jun. 21-Jul. 22)||Emerald, Moonstone, Pearl, Ruby||Emerald, Agate, Chalcedony|
|Leo(Jul. 23-Aug. 22)||Tourmaline, Sardonyx, Onyx||
|Peridot, Onyx, Amber|
|Virgo(Aug. 23-Sep. 22)||Jasper, Carnelian, Jade, Sapphire||Carnelian, Sardonyx|
|Libra(Sep. 23-Oct. 22)||Opal , Lapis Lazuli, Peridot||Opal , Chrsolite, Sardonyx|
|Scorpio(Oct. 23-Nov. 21)||Aquamarine, Topaz||Aquamarine, Beryl|
|Sagittarius(Nov. 22-Dec. 21)||Sapphire, Amethyst, Turquoise, Topaz||
- Birthstone Bracelet
When shopping for a birthstone bracelet it is important to remember that not all bracelets are created equal. There are a few important things to keep in mind to ensure that you get the best birthstone bracelet for your money
Diamonds are forever and are a woman’s best friend. They’re the hardest substance known, over four times harder than the #2 contender
- Birthstones and Gems
What’s a birthstone? Simply put, it’s a stone which is linked to the month of your birth. So if you were born on May then your birthstone is the emerald.